Saturday, October 4, 2008

Saturday Farmers Market

This morning I got up and did one of my most favorite things to do - I went to the Arlington Farmers Market in Clarendon. Ok, yes, I do this almost every Saturday year round. It is not that unsual.

Perhaps, the cool fall weather with the crip blue skies helped make it a bit more special. I got the pleasure of talking to my farmers market friends. The older gentleman and his sister who love to tell us the story of how their farm is the only one left in their part of Maryland. It is truly a family enterprise. I often want to ask them what will become of their farm when they just cant do it anymore. This week was not the week. He was busy making sure we knew he wouldnt be there next week. It appears that it is one of his rare days off! He said that after 30 years of Saturdays - he deserved it. I agree. His sister wants to go to her 50th class reunion and he, well, just wants to do something else. I told him that he has more than earned it!

We also said 'Hey!' to the Cookie Lady. I call her the crack dealer behind her back! She lets you sample all of her cookies before you buy and even if you don't buy! Just like the crack dealer - the first hit is always free! :) You ask her the secrets of her cookies and she tells you that she just makes them like grandma did. Butter, flour and good solid ingredients.

We didn't even get a chance to talk to Forrest my favorite beef, egg and pork producer or the family that comes down from PA with their milk and cheese!

I love the farmers market. My diet has improved steadily with the wide variety seasonal items available. I want to figure out what to do with the bunch of seconds of tomato's, apples or even garlic scapes! I also feel good as I get to know the vendors. As they put food on my table, I know that I am putting food on their table and gas in their cars.

From their website:

The Arlington Farmers' Market is proud to focus on several key goals:1) Providing the freshest and highest quality foods to our customers. 2) Allowing customers to meet the people who grow their food. 3) Supporting local farmers by limiting the distance (125 miles) from which a producer may travel. 4) Educating our customers about food, environment, and community issues through booths staffed by theVirginia Cooperative Extension, Master Gardeners, and community non-profits

I would strongly encourage you go one Saturday! Better yet - get in touch with me and I will guide you through and have you meet my friends! The weather in the fall is beautiful. There are samples around for you to taste - they make a great breakfast! You are not only getting a great product - you are helping a local farmer. How great is that?? What a wonderful gift!

Lets have coffee one Saturday!


3 comments:

Barbara said...

Perfect! I want to go. I have gone to the Arlington Farmers' Market, but I have never gone regularly enough to establish a relationship with any of the vendors.

Over the course of the past year, I have become a firm believer in locally grown produce. It makes all the difference in the world!

Huck said...

I agree! It has taken over a year and my just learning to talk to folks to get to know some of the vendors!

There is a woman who sells great mushrooms. I learned if you come with $100 bill, she does not put it in her till but rather straight into her daughters college fund! We try to purchase using one every quarter or so!

Barbara said...

I have bought her mushrooms and they are indeed fabulous!

I'm considering organizing a trip down to Polyface Farm to see a different approach to raising animals. You might be interested in coming along if you like good, fresh, local food.