Saturday, October 25, 2008

Voting

I got up early today and went to the county building. I went to participate in the the greatest privilege and responsibility that I know of - the right to vote. I am a person who votes even for the smallest elections. School board? No problem. I will be there. County board? Certainly! If there is a chance for me to go to the polls - I will go.

I get misty and my chest pumps up just a bit right after I vote. The cynic in the back of my brain tries to tell me that it doesn't matter. But in that one moment right after I vote, the optimist takes over and shouts a large AMEN.

I voted today as I will be out of the county on election day. I did an absentee in person vote. I was given the choice between a paper ballot and the voting machine ballot. I even got a "I voted absentee" sticker.

I have never picked a winner in a presidential election. ( Yes, I know...) I think this time might be THE time that I have chosen the 'right' candidate. I voted for reason, ability and caliber of discussion and ideas. I wish both parties could have given me a reasonable choice. Sadly, one party made it very easy for me to make my choice.

Another emotion that I felt as I walked out of the polls was one of relief. This election season is almost over. It is not a moment too soon for me. I do know that the next cycle will begin anew in 6-8 months! AHHHHH.... but for the moment I will look forward to the silence of the next several months.

I did my civic duty. I can only hope that all my friends and family do the same! It is your right and your responsibility. I wish all the folks who speak of patriotism and 'USA' would realize the same thing. The greatest act of patriotism is to VOTE. One party would like you to think that voting for them is more patriotic. That's not true. Just the act of voting is to say YES to the democratic government with which we are graced.

To the friends and family who have been doing the Get out the Vote campaign. Thank you. Your service is invaluable. To the friends and family who are campaigning for a candidate - your rest is almost upon you. Do not lose energy or heart! To the friends in CA, who are working for the NO on 8, Thank you. From the bottom of my heart, I wish I had the time, the courage and the wherewithal to be there with you!


VOTE! VOTE EARLY! TAKE A BOOK TO READ WHILE YOU STAND IN THE POLL LINE.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Yay! I hope all the people I have met while canvassing go out and vote on or before November 4.

By the way, I just tagged you for a meme. Do it only if it appeals to you!